Science - Teacher Resources
1. Qualitative and Quantitative Observations: Discovery Streaming video (7:01)
2. Science made Simple - Lab Safety Made Simple - narrated by a funny scientist who brags about his lab safety record. We see how it goes wrong...then the video "rewinds" and identifies the broken safety rules. Opens with Windows Media Player or QuickTime plugin.
4. Scientific Method and Measurement - Discovery streaming link (20:40)
5. Chemical properties - notes - PowerPoint presentation
6. Properties of Matter - Discovery Education video (18:01). Explore different chemical and physical properties of matter.
10. Basics of Geology: All about Rocks and Minerals - Discovery streaming link (23:19). Students will discover how igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks are formed. In addition, students will learn how fossils are important tools for interpreting how plants and animals lived long ago, as well as providing evidence of how the environmental conditions of the Earth have changed over time. The second part explains why the study of rocks and minerals is important.
11. BrainPop videos - 1) TYPES OF ROCK 2) ROCK CYCLE 3) MINERAL IDENTIFICATION 4) SOIL
12. Rock Hounds - animated formation of rocks13. Sedimentary Rock Song - Teacher-tube link (2:23). Video and pictures with a sedimentary rock theme.14. We are the Rocks - Teacher-tube link (2:50). Video and music from a fourth grade class, introducing the three types of rocks.
Layers of the Earth
1. How do scientists know what's inside the Earth? and The four layers - very short Discovery streaming link (1:22) and (1:16)
2. The Earth's layers - A (4:22) Discovery streaming link with great visuals and explanations
3. Digging Through Earth: The Inner Structure of Our Planet - A (10:00) Discovery streaming link combining layers, plate tectonics, and a discussion of how it all affects the surface of the Earth. There is also a quiz at the end.
4. Layers of the Earth - quick picture and description of the crust, mantle, and core
6. Who wants to be a millionaire?: Earth's layers - Quia game
7. The Magic School Bus Blows it's Top Game - Learn about the layers of the earth as you move the bus through the maze.
1. TLC Elementary School: Geological processes - A (5:56) Discovery streaming video starting with Pangea, plates, continental theory/drift, and types of boundaries. SCROLL DOWN TO PLATE TECTONICS!
2. Forces that shape the earth - Discovery streaming video... (20:00) total. First part is (7:00) dealing with layers of the earth, plate tectonics, and plate movement. Second part deals with the rock cycle/how rocks are formed.
3. Plate tectonics - (6:43) Discovery streaming video. Continental drift, faults, seismic waves, earthquakes, formation of mountains, fossils.
4. Basic plate tectonics - animations showing the three basic boundaries and how the plates move.
5. Matching game - Quia plate tectonics interactive matching game
6. Multiple choice - Quia plate tectonics interactive multiple choice game
7. Zoom Quiz - Plate tectonics and continental drift online quiz
8. Continental drift - Shows the motion of the continents over time (LOOK AT THE GREEN)
1. Why are the Mountains so High? - Discovery streaming video. Plate tectonics/continental drift (2:09)...Folding (2:29)...Volcanic mountains (5:46)...Fault-block mountains (3:02)...
9. Geologist's Notebook: Why the land goes up and down - Discovery streaming link about uplifting and erosion
10. Rock around the park - erosion
1. Volcanoes - (20:00) total. Discovery streaming video.
2. World's best: nature's fury - (3:16) Discovery streaming video about earthquakes. (4:41) video about volcanoes.
3. Earth science: Earthquakes - (20:00) Discovery streaming video. Real scenes from earthquakes...interviews with scientists that explain how earthquakes start.
4. Earth science: Volcanoes - (20:00) Discovery streaming video.Real scenes from erupting volcanoes...why volcanoes erupt...the three types of volcanoes.
5. The Magic School Bus: Blows its top - (23:56) Discovery streaming video about how an underwater volcano makes an island.
6. Volcanoes 101 - (3:04) Discovery streaming video about the three types of volcanoes.
1. How to use a microscope - (20:33) Discovery streaming video. History of the microscope...three kinds of microscopes... parts and how to use a microscope. (Good information, but not high interest). Skip the electron microscope images if desired (-4.32).
2. The incredible world of the microscope - (20:00) Discovery streaming video.What is magnification...shows many microscopic images...how to use specimen slides...microscope care
4. Microscope parts - practice naming the parts of a microscope
5. BrainPop video - 1) MICROSCOPES
6. Water organisms - slides of organisms found in wastewater.
1. All living things are made of cells - (3:32) Discovery streaming video. How scientists discovered that all living things are made of cells.
2. Biology: The study of life: The living cell - (15:13) Discovery streaming video. Explains the structure and function of cells.
3. Introducing the cell - (21:00) Discovery streaming video. Cells are the basic building blocks of life...name/describe single celled organisms...basic cell parts...differences between plant/animal cells...cells group to form tissues.
4. The living cell - (20:00) Discovery streaming video."Cell-ebrity Squares" teaches characteristics of living things...parts of a cell...cell theory...diffusion/osmosis...active/passive transport.
5. Cells alive! - interactive identification of parts of animal/plant cells.
6. The Magic School Bus Goes Cellular - (26:13) Discovery streaming video. Learn why Arnold's skin turned orange. It is because of a food he ate.
7. The Magic School Bus: Inside Ralphie - Discovery streaming video (21:33). What is making Ralphie sick? Go inside and see how the white blood cells fight disease.
8. BrainPop videos - 1) CELLS 2) CELL STRUCTURES 3) CELL SPECIALIZATION
The Human Body: From Cells to Organism
1. Types of Human Cells - Discovery streaming video (3:58). Excellent animation. The next segment is a short video on types of plant cells (1:40).
2. Anatomy Explorer: Animated Graphics of Human Anatomy - Short guided tours of the Circulatory, Digestive, Endocrine, Muscular, Nervous, Reproductive, Respiratory, and Urinary systems ***CHOOSE THE ONES YOU WANT TO EXPLORE. HIT START TO BEGIN*** (You need Shockwave Player)
3. The inside story with Slim Goodbody: The Body Symphony: The Inside Story of Your Whole Body - Discovery streaming video (14:26). Cell structure and how cells are grouped into tissues, organs, organ structures, and organisms. ***Stop after TISSUES, ORGANS, AND ORGAN SYSTEMS. ONLY SHOW THE FIRST FOUR PARTS!***
1. Elements of Biology: Genetics: The Molecular Basis of Hereditary - (18:00) Discovery streaming video. DNA is composed of A,G,C,T...Genes...Mitosis...Meiosis...scientists try to unlock the mysteries of DNA. ***watch and show appropriate parts for your student level***
2. Learn. Genetics: Tour of the Basics - Click on the top tabs for each topic...WHAT IS DNA? ... WHAT IS A GENE? ... WHAT IS A CHROMOSOME? ***Skip the rest - too detailed for our classes***
3. The Basics of Genes - (10:30) Discovery streaming video. Bill Nye discusses the history of famous scientists that contributed to genetics...Law of inheritance...Genes are located on chromosomes...Genes control biochemical events
4. Genetics 101 - A series of videos to introduce Genetics.
5. BrainPop videos - 1) DNA 2) GENETICS (mentions sex cells) 3) HEREDITY (pea plants, Mendel, Punnett squares)
6. Pass the Genes, Please - cute game where you see what the child looks like and identify the parent's genes.
7. Play an Educational Genetics Game - choose the dominant or recessive gene card to create the correct combination of traits.
8. Create a DNA fingerprint - learn how the crime labs match DNA.
Animal Mutations and Adaptations
1. Deformed and Mutated Animals, part 1 - All classes are different. Please preview before showing this to your students.
3. King Tut Unwrapped: Life and Death - (1:27:02) Discovery streaming video. Research into the mummies of fetuses shows enlarged hands and feet, possibly the result of a genetic mutation.
4. Animal Adaptations - Can you identify three adaptations for each animal?
5. BrainPop videos - 1) GENETIC MUTATIONS 2)NATURAL SELECTION
6. Adapting to the World - Four chapters demonstrate how adaptations have enabled various species to evolve and thrive.
7. The role of Genetic Mutation in the History of Agriculture - (6:45) Discovery streaming video.The earliest American farmers modified crops to develop useful corn. They encouraged natural mutations that would otherwise die out. Numerous crops, including wheat and tomatoes, were similarly developed.
8. Animal Adaptations - (54:00) Discovery streaming video. Learn about the adaptations animals have make in order to live and prosper. Covers both the physical and behavioral adaptations of animals in regard to getting food, water, oxygen, protection from predators, shelter, and reproduction.
9. Animals around us: Animal Adaptions: What are they? - (14:00) Discovery streaming video. Examples of how animals have adapted to their environments. From pronghorns to frogs and bison to fish, the role of physical and behavioral adaptations in the survival of animals.
10. Elements of Biology: Biomes: The Adaptations of Animals - (56:00) Discovery streaming video. Biomes are zones created by physical geographic and climatic conditions in different areas of the earth. Describes the major world biomes and explain how some organisms adapt to the environment within the biomes. Also mentions how humans have changed the ecosystem in some biomes.
11. Dogs around the World - (interactive game for whiteboard) match the dogs to the environments for which they were bred.
1. Life Science: Ecology - (20:00) Discovery streaming video.We are all part of an ecosystem. Ecosystems link to become biomes. Rain forests, grasslands, and deserts are biomes. Everything is interconnected.
2. Biology: The science of life: Ecology: Organisms in their environment - (14:58) Discovery streaming video. What are ecosystems and how do organisms interact in them? How do matter and energy flow in an ecosystem? The concepts of ecosystem, population, niche, food chain, food web, food pyramid, and the carbon cycle are discussed.
3. Biomes: Wild arctic - (56:00) Discovery streaming video. Explores the relationship of arctic animals with their ecosystem and how animals are threatened by climate changes.
4. Coastal Biomes: Where the land meets the sea - (24:00) Discovery streaming video. Explore a variety of coastal biomes and learn about the characteristics of each.
5. Where have all the animals gone? endangered species - (25:05) Discovery streaming video. Pollution, loss of habitat, human population growth, over hunting, black market activities, including pet trade, and poaching, have all affected animals.