Conferences Start on Wednesday, November 19th
Night Conferences are Thursday, November 20th
West End School is nestled in the suburban community of North Plainfield, New Jersey. At West End, we are dedicated to providing a safe and nurturing community where diversity is celebrated, mutual respect among adults and children is practiced, and where parents and caregivers are seen as valued partners in laying the foundation for life-long learning.
West End Program
The West End School Community is empowered to create an exciting environment that is positive, diverse, and conducive to lifelong learning. To achieve our vision as a learning community, West End School is characterized by:
•An atmosphere where empowerment extends to children and adults in order to draw on each other's strengths;
•A positive learning environment dedicated to high academic and social standards;
•A commitment to foster positive self-esteem;
•A dedication to the development of critical and creative thinking;
•A respect for individual and cultural diversity.
To create this exciting environment for children, the school involves its children in a school-wide Character Education/Service Learning Program. We will be focusing on MegaSkills by Dr. Dorothy Rich.
· Confidence: feeling able to do it
· Motivation: wanting to do it
· Responsibility: doing what's right
· Effort: being willing to work hard
· Initiative: moving into action
· Perseverance: completing what you start
· Caring: showing concern for others
· Teamwork: working with others
· Common Sense: using good judgment
· Problem Solving: putting what you know and what you can do into action
· Focus: concentrating with a goal in mind
· Respect: showing good behavior, courtesy, and appreciation
These will be studied through special projects, guest speakers, literature reviews, assemblies and with home involvement. Through this the children develop ethical decision-making skills and create a code of behavior that empowers them to change the world for the better, starting with themselves and then spreading to others.
Our service project (part of our Character Education Program) has adopted The Smile Train Project. The Smile Train mission is “to help children by providing free cleft surgery and related treatment for children who would otherwise never receive it. For as little as $250, we help give these children not just a new smile—but a second chance at life.
• With every cleft we repair, we restore a life.
• With every doctor we train, we help a community take one more step toward self-sufficiency.
• With every smile we deliver, we bring hope and dignity."
West End has delivered 227 new smiles to children around the world through The Smile Train Project!
Parents are encouraged to get involved by joining and becoming an active member of the Parent Teacher Association (PTA). The PTA works to support the children and the staff. They are part of the building’s programs and initiatives and are an integral part of the learning community at West End Elementary School.
"If you know of any child that has a cleft and needs help of any kind - in the U.S. or anywhere in the world for that matter - contact us at 1-877-KID SMILE or visit www.smiletrain.org and we will do everything we can to help."